Thursday, July 17, 2008

Newspaper Eyetracking

I guess this is a running theme with me now, how to get people interested in reading the newspapers. As I read Eyetrack: Getting them to notice by Michele McLellan, there was link to a presentation by Nora Paul of the Institute for New Media Studies at the University of Minnesota. This presentation really got me thinking about technology. In this presentation, some people are wearing an eye tracking equipment on their heads, which is used to track their eye movements while reading a Web page. The idea is to capture what people are looking at when a Web page loads for a reader. I am wondering if this has been done with newspapers. I’m sure that it has, hasn’t it? It is very clear in the presentation that a lot of thought and technology is being used to figure out what people did when they looked at or read a Web page. Could this technology also be used to understand people’s newspaper reading habits?

No comments: